I’m not a quilter and the few times I’ve ever done applique work they were just small pieces so I just did it by hand. So the first time someone said, “I’d like a yard of Wonder-Under, please,” I was like, “You want what?! What the heck is Wonder-Under?” I don’t know why but the first image that came to mind was Superman’s underwear. Go ahead, call me ‘weird’. I get that a lot.
Eventually I got the very kind and patient guest her Wonder-Under and she went on her merry way. Then I went on my merry way and found out what it was I just cut for her. Turns out this stuff is amazing!
“Does everybody know the wonders of Wonder-Under?” I thought to myself. “I must tell all the people, now! To the Bat Cave, Robin!”
What is Wonder-Under?
Wonder-Under is made by Pellon, the folks who make all the interfacings you see behind our cutting counter. According to the Joann website:
This fusible, paper-backed webbing can be used to fuse fabric with fabric, or to any porous surface like wood or cardboard. You can also use this iron-on adhesive for other home decor, applique, quilting and sewing projects.
It’s pretty cool, actually. Say you want to add some letters to the front of a t-shirt. All you do is iron the bumpy glue side of the Wonder-Under to the underside of your letters. Let it cool for a minute, then peel of the Wonder-Under paper. Then place the letter on the t-shirt and iron it again. Voila! It’s stuck!
Another Sign I Need to Start Quilting
Now, one of the reasons I’ve never really stepped into the Quilting arena is because I always thought it would be too difficult and tedious to get all those little pieces to stay in their places while you stitched them down. That would be a heck of a lot of pinning and even then you just know they’d slide around under the presser foot.
Now, take it a step further and you can see how helpful this stuff is when you’re piecing appliques on a whole quilt, right? Put everything in it’s place and it stays there while you do your machine applique work. Wonder-Under is the secret weapon! Why didn’t anyone ever tell me?!
This quick little video shows you how it works.
Here are a few of my thoughts:
- If you just want to stick fabric letters on your t-shirt, why spend money on a Cricut? Just use Wonder-Under. Do people know this?
- I can’t think of a project where I would want to fuse fabric to wood or cardboard but apparently they’re out there. Good to know!
- No more of those ugly, iron-on patches. With Wonder-Under you can patch your jeans or the elbows of your favorite shirt with any kind of decorative fabric you choose.
- And why even wait for a hole? Just iron on any kind of fabric embellishment wherever and whenever you want.
- If Wonder-Under will stick to just about anything, maybe that’s how they get Teflon to stick to the pan.
- Why in the world do super-heroes wear underwear on the outside of their pants? Inquiring minds want to know.